Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Doctrine of Hope

HOPE

We’ve been saturated with this word. Barack Obama’s entire campaign was built on the premise of hope. He was bringing the hope that politics could be different. Young people flocked to the idea of hope.

We’re drawn to hope.

Why?

Last night at church, Stan Toler spoke about the negativity of the culture we find ourselves in. I think this is why we flock to the idea of hope. We want to know that it doesn’t have to be so negative all the time!

So, I’ve been thinking, where does hope fit in with my theology? There’s a book on my shelf called An Emergent Manifesto of Hope. Even within the church, we are yearning for some hope. Parts of the emergent movement are fueled by the hope that church doesn’t have to look the way we’ve seen it for so long.

So, I ask again, where does hope fit in with my theology? I haven’t read that book yet, but it’s on my list for the future. There’s an old hymn that tells us where our hope comes from. Remember these words?

My hope is built on nothing less…
Than Jesus blood and righteousness.

Some of us cling to the hope that it will all be better in heaven, because of what Christ did for us here on earth. But, maybe that’s not what it means? My hope is that the world would get better because of what Jesus did for us here. My hope is that the followers of Christ would be radically transforming the world. My hope is that we would be showing the world that there is hope, even in times of despair.

Are you showing the world that there is hope, or are you leaving that up to President Obama?

There is hope.

We still serve a living God.

0 comments: